Sunday, April 10, 2005

Skydiving Blues

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go

Went down to Netheravon today at 0700H, trying to get a jump in. Well you see, I'm at the end of my 3 months validity again, and thus need to go down by end of Easter to refresh myself. The difference from the last round was that I actually thought I could jump today. It is spring after all, but oh wells, the weather was against us, and it seemed that the winds were so strong that even the experienced skydivers were not allowed to jump.

Well this trip did get me thinking. Strange though, cos in the pursuit of getting my skydiving licence, I have failed to see the cost of doing so. Not just monetary, but time wise, effort wise. It's even more strange cos I started thinking about a whole lot about other stuff in relation to skydiving. Stuff like (1) Okay so even if I do get my licence, and CAN travel all over the world to jump, who am I going to do that with?!?! (2) The monetary path leading up to the point I do get my licence would be say 700 pounds - for 18 jumps (min), excluding day to day expenses. That is a LOT of money. (3) Who am I to share this joy of skydiving with? It's not like everyone's into it, and not like it's a feeling that I could share with others.

Well the truth is this, it is an extreme sport, and as the name suggests, not everybody does it. So I suppose all the weekends that I'd have to spend travelling to Netheravon could be better spent with my closer friends, building on existing relationships. The money I'd save could be used to purchase a new instrument. But of course there's the conflict, I don't wanna give up something I'd started. It's just not me to say "Okay, let's move on, it's okay to leave things behind".

I suppose this is just but one of the painful decisions we have to make in life - choices. Things that we want, against the reality of getting it. Well I've decided that I'll finish up the remaining 3 jump tickets that I had already paid for and that would conclude my short stint in Skydiving. It would be another memory, just like bungee jumping, just like a whole lot of other things ... What do you think? Ever been caught in that situation?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Myself in the funny orange overalls =)


Posted by Musicshen at 10:47 AM
0 comments




Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com